The short-handed Philadelphia 76ers came up with a huge win on Tuesday night over Ben Simmons and the Brooklyn Nets, 115-106. Inspired basketball as the Sixers were without Joel Embiid, James Harden, and Tyrese Maxey all dealing with foot injuries. A great team win in a highly anticipated as they welcomed back a former franchise cornerstone in Simmons. The story was about his return to Philadelphia for the first time in a visiting uniform, but it was his former team without their key players that played team ball and got contributions from everyone, and stole the show.
Tonight, the 76ers will play the Charlotte Hornets on the road for the second night of a back-to-back, as they begin a quick three-game trip concluding in Orlando.
Here are a few keys to the game tonight:
- Continue to move the ball where everyone gets a touch. The assists numbers weren’t as high as we’re accustomed to seeing with the Sixers, but the way the ball moved on Tuesday was perfect. No sticking. Keep that same type of ball movement. Philadelphia had 19 assists on 43 made baskets.
- Of course, it’s unclear if the 76ers will knock down 16 threes against the Hornets tonight but it would be nice. Making those against the Nets really helped to set the tone on the offensive end, playing off-the-ball movement. Let’s see if they can keep some of that up.
- 20 offensive rebounds is not easy to do. Energy, effort, and the want to is how the Sixers were able to use that to their advantage over the more talented Nets. That’s going to need to remain a part of the game plan versus the Hornets.
- As always, protect the basketball. The starting backcourt of De’Anthony Melton and Shake Milton handled the ball for the majority of the game and committed only three turnovers on the night. 10 total as a team, like last night, is a recipe for success. Protect the rock!
- Filling in for Joel Embiid and trying to replace his production is a tough job. Montrezl Harrell started and played 15-plus minutes finishing with six points and seven boards, six offensive. Paul Reed came off the bench to put together his best game of the season, putting together a 19 and 10 double-double. If you can get 25 points and 17 rebounds from the center position again the 76ers will be in pretty good shape.