Chirping has become a staple in hockey, so much so that over the past few seasons, the NHL has begun to mic up players as a fun way for fans to get even closer to their favorite teams.
Now, with no fans in the stands as the 2019-20 Stanley Cup playoffs begin – there’s a chance to have that 24/7.
The dynamic for this particular postseason has certainly been altered in many ways, the biggest being games are about to be played in front of empty seats. While it’ll be different to not watch the games in person, the league made sure to turn these negatives into positives for everyone tuning in.
“The intention of what we’re trying to do is give the viewers at home a feeling of energy and excitement and doing a little technological dazzling,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said Friday in an interview with NBC Sports’ Liam McHugh.
“So when you tune in and you watch a game, you’re gonna have fun watching it and it’s not going to take away anything that’s going on on the ice. In the absence of fans – more cameras, more camera angles, more close shots and sounds of the game.”
How can that not get you excited that hockey is finally back?
Chirping aside, get ready to hear some of the best sounds in all of sports on a whole new level. You know the ones – perfect pass reception when the puck hits the stick, when a player is racing down the ice and stops abruptly, stick taps from players on the bench, the ‘ping’ of the puck off the post (hopefully for the opposing team) and much more.
We’re about to embark on an experience like no other – and it starts today.
Sports Uncovered is on all podcast platforms: click here to subscribe now!
Subscribe and rate Flyers Talk: Apple Podcasts | Google Play | Spotify | Stitcher | Art19 | YouTube
Click here to download the MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Flyers, Sixers and Phillies games easily on your device.
More Flyers analysis for 24-team tournament
• Potential heavyweight coaching matchup for Flyers in 1st round
• Flyers celebrate return of hockey with OT drama and positives in exhibition
• So, about those Penguins … 1st-round matchup for Flyers?
• Picture collage and signs show love for Flyers as they eye Cup run in Toronto
• Couturier’s goals in NHL bubble: Stanley Cup and an important baby book item
• One of the most intriguing (and favorable?) 1st-round matchup possibilities
• Would Islanders be Flyers’ kryptonite if they meet in 1st round?
• Flyers announce playoff roster, have fans going crazy over shirts
• All types of Flyers odds (including the Cup) as NHL’s 24-team tourney begins
• Scott ‘couldn’t be happier’ with Flyers, but there’s more action to be done
• Trust the captain, he’ll know what to do if the Flyers face the Hurricanes
• No scrimmage for Hart but Flyers’ goalie provides important sight
• Analyzing Hart’s situation, another Flyer becomes a dad, more
• Lindblom has new contract, his comeback is on with Flyers
• Flyers-Canadiens is perfect on paper, but would it be a trap?
• What round-robin schedule change could mean for Flyers’ strategy
• What happened? Voracek says calm down, he’s fine … now you know
• Key Flyer missing, buzzing rookie, don’t forget Ghost and more
• The Flyers’ lineup, practicing celebrations, no hiding these two and more
• A ‘dangerous card’ in the Flyers’ hand, Giroux still wows and more
• Fans can purchase Flyers playoff shirts with new slogan
• What it was like to go back to work at Flyers practice in different times
• Juicy opponent for Flyers’ exhibition game; some start times announced
• Analyzing the Flyers’ schedule to open 24-team tournament
• 5 questions on Flyers’ chances in 24-team tournament
• Predictions for Flyers’ best Game 1 lineup to start 24-team playoff
• Who are the Flyers’ top 5 reinforcements for 24-team tournament?
• Elliott has sweet new mask for Flyers’ playoff run
• Flyers sign a player to extension at position of strength
• What to know as NHL, NHLPA finish big step, announce schedule
• Things get even better for Flyers in NHL’s 24-team tournament
• Finding the Flyers’ best 1st-round matchup for Hart
• Flyers have two top 50 pending UFAs; will they re-sign them?
• Everything Flyers fans need to know for NHL’s 24-team tournament
• Hockey insider details Flyers’ hotel
• Bettman gives Gritty the hard truth for why he can’t be in Toronto bubble
• Key dates, protocols announced as Flyers set to return