Gritty considers himself essential.
Most of us do in the Delaware Valley.
So, naturally, the furry orange fella is wondering why he’s not with the boys in the Eastern Conference’s hub city Toronto for the NHL’s return-to-play 24-team tournament.
Inevitably, the Flyers’ mascot has found ways to make his presence known – in Toronto and back home in Philly. The guy is staring down on a highway up in Canada. He also saluted the Flyers from the roof of the Wells Fargo Center as they departed for Toronto (how did he get up th- … we’re not asking questions).
As you might expect, this has not been easy on Gritty. The poor guy planned on rooming with his best friend Claude Giroux despite the fact that the Flyers all have separate rooms.
Gritty at least has an answer now for why he is not permitted in the Toronto bubble.
“Testing him,” NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said Friday in an interview with NBC Sports’ Liam McHugh. “I don’t think we have a nasal swab that goes up his beak far enough.”
Something tells us, though, that Gritty is getting his fingers on a nasal swab as he reads this article.
You definitely don’t want to put him to the test.
Sports Uncovered is on all podcast platforms: click here to subscribe now!
Subscribe and rate Flyers Talk: Apple Podcasts | Google Play | Spotify | Stitcher | Art19 | YouTube
Click here to download the MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Flyers, Sixers and Phillies games easily on your device.
More Flyers analysis for 24-team tournament
• Flyers celebrate return of hockey with OT drama and positives in exhibition
• So, about those Penguins … 1st-round matchup for Flyers?
• Picture collage and signs show love for Flyers as they eye Cup run in Toronto
• Couturier’s goals in NHL bubble: Stanley Cup and an important baby book item
• One of the most intriguing (and favorable?) 1st-round matchup possibilities
• Would Islanders be Flyers’ kryptonite if they meet in 1st round?
• Flyers announce playoff roster, have fans going crazy over shirts
• Scott ‘couldn’t be happier’ with Flyers, but there’s more action to be done
• Trust the captain, he’ll know what to do if the Flyers face the Hurricanes
• No scrimmage for Hart but Flyers’ goalie provides important sight
• Analyzing Hart’s situation, another Flyer becomes a dad, more
• Lindblom has new contract, his comeback is on with Flyers
• Flyers-Canadiens is perfect on paper, but would it be a trap?
• What round-robin schedule change could mean for Flyers’ strategy
• What happened? Voracek says calm down, he’s fine … now you know
• Key Flyer missing, buzzing rookie, don’t forget Ghost and more
• The Flyers’ lineup, practicing celebrations, no hiding these two and more
• A ‘dangerous card’ in the Flyers’ hand, Giroux still wows and more
• Fans can purchase Flyers playoff shirts with new slogan
• What it was like to go back to work at Flyers practice in different times
• Juicy opponent for Flyers’ exhibition game; some start times announced
• Analyzing the Flyers’ schedule to open 24-team tournament
• 5 questions on Flyers’ chances in 24-team tournament
• Predictions for Flyers’ best Game 1 lineup to start 24-team playoff
• Who are the Flyers’ top 5 reinforcements for 24-team tournament?
• Elliott has sweet new mask for Flyers’ playoff run
• Flyers sign a player to extension at position of strength
• What to know as NHL, NHLPA finish big step, announce schedule
• Things get even better for Flyers in NHL’s 24-team tournament
• Finding the Flyers’ best 1st-round matchup for Hart
• Flyers have two top 50 pending UFAs; will they re-sign them?
• Everything Flyers fans need to know for NHL’s 24-team tournament
• Hockey insider details Flyers’ hotel
• Key dates, protocols announced as Flyers near next steps toward return